Francis is a respected lawyer and arbitrator with over 46 years of experience.
Francis is a Chartered Arbitrator (C.Arb.) and acts as independent or sole chairman on arbitrations involving labour and employment problems, commercial and business disputes, construction, health law, products liability and various other fields. He is also a mediator, assisting parties in resolving disputes involving commercial transactions, labour and employment problems, construction disputes, community relationships, sports disputes and various other fields.
Francis carries on a general litigation practice that includes mortgage foreclosures, primarily on behalf of lenders, actions on collateral and other bank loan security, expropriation, and oil and gas surface rights. He has appeared in all levels of the courts of Alberta, the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Francis has published articles and case comments in the Alberta and Melbourne Law Reviews and in the Alberta Law Reports relating to foreclosure law, actions on agreements for sale, valuation of security interests, expropriation, and oil and gas surface rights and adoption. He is the author of “Pipelines in Western Canada”. In 1985 he co-authored, with his wife Mme. Justice Marguerite Trussler, a textbook entitled “Mortgage Actions in Alberta”, dealing with foreclosure and related contract remedies in Alberta and elsewhere in Canada. In 1996 he authored a “Practice Guide to Conducting a Foreclosure Action”, published by Carswell.
In 2003, to honour the retirement of Master in Chambers Michael Funduk, Francis compiled a book of humorous quotes of Master Funduk from among his 3519 written decisions. The proceeds from sale of copies continue to go to the Edmonton Food Bank.
Francis’ expertise has made him a sought after educational leader and he has taught at various organizations and schools including:
- Legal Education Society of Alberta
- University of Calgary (Lancaster House) Labour Arbitration Conference
- Centre for Labour – Management Development
- University of Alberta
- Center for International Legal Studies, Austria
- Centro Juridico para el Comercio Interamericano, Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, México
- Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Campus Estado de México, México City, México.
- Universidad Católica Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Department of Advanced Education, Alberta
- Alberta Bar Admission Course – Course Developer, former Lecturer and Course Head in Foreclosures
- Canadian Bar Association, Creditor & Debtor Law Section, Case Commentator (1979 – present)
- Numerous Financial Institutions
Francis is an active member of the Edmonton arts community. He sings bass in the Edmonton Opera chorus and performs and organizes theatrical productions. He is also involved in Toastmasters International (ACS, CL).
Eton College (England), 1963-68
University of Melbourne, LL.B. (with Honours)
University of Alberta, LL.M.
Chartered Arbitrator (C.Arb.)