Sonny’s clients benefit from the wealth of knowledge he has amassed over many years in practice.
Sonny’s practice focuses on property and contract law including property development, financing, sales, purchases, leasing, preparation and analysis of mortgages, debentures and other security documents, condominiums, mortgages and other security remedies and actions, builders’ liens, and landlord and tenant matters. He has appeared in all levels of the courts of Alberta and in the Supreme Court of Canada and has served on arbitration panels and legislative boards.
For many years Sonny issued regular written reports on current real estate and lending law which have been widely distributed to lending institutions and members of the legal profession. He has published articles and case comments in the Canadian Bar Review, the Alberta Law Reports, the Condominium Institute, and the Alberta Law Review on mortgage renewals, loan interest, builders’ liens, leases, personal property security, security remedies and condominium law.
Sonny’s expertise has made him a sought after educational leader and he has taught at various organizations and schools including:
- Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA) – frequently chairs and lectures at panels on many aspects of property law, finance and lien law
- Frequent Lecturer in Canadian Condominium Institute programs
- Presenter, C.L.H.I.A. (Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association) seminar
- Presenter, American Law Institute / American Bar Association Program
- Former Lecturer – University of Alberta, Faculty of Law: Creditor’s Rights (4 years)
- Former Lecturer – Alberta Bar Admission Course: Builders’ Liens section (20 years)
- Alberta Mortgage Brokers Certification Program (1996 – 2006)
Sonny has been recognized by The Best Lawyers™ in Canada in each of the past 13 years and as “Lawyer of the Year” (Edmonton) in five of those years.
University of Alberta, B.A.
University of Alberta, LL.B.