Wills, Estates & Trusts<< services
We offer skillful and creative advice in Estate Planning, Estate Administration, and Estate Litigation.
Easing the burden of decision-making
Estate matters come with many challenges and decisions. This is the case whether you are planning your own estate, administering the estate of a loved one, or involved in an estate dispute as a beneficiary or as an executor.
Our Wills, Estates & Trusts team understands this. We also understand that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Challenges, sensitivities and important factors vary.
An integrated approach to planning
We take an integrated approach to Estate Planning that includes more than preparing a last will and testament.
A comprehensive estate plan involves reducing risk and maximizing benefit not only for your estate, but in the case of serious illness or incapacity. We can help you with:
- Advice related to high net worth estates, including establishing trusts and cross-border issues
- Succession planning for business owners and family businesses. This includes advice related to corporate structure and shareholder matters
- Drafting Wills, Enduring Powers of Attorney, and Personal Directives
- Appointing or changing Personal Representatives in estate documents
- Matters related to reducing or deferring tax
- Options and advice related to investments such as RRSPs, investment portfolios, and life insurance
- Planning for charitable giving
- Establishing and administering trusts for beneficiaries who will require long-term care
Administration and Litigation
We offer skillful and practical advice related to estate administration. We can help you with:
- Applications for probate, administration or resealed grants
- Estate administration for personal representatives
- Estate litigation, including challenging wills
- Enduring power of attorney litigation
- Family Maintenance and Support Applications (formerly Dependants Relief Claims)
- Estates with no will (Intestate Estates)
- Adult guardianship and trusteeship
- Emergency trusteeship or guardianship
- Mediation of estate issues
Leaders in Education and in the Community
Our lawyers frequently lecture and publish articles on topics related to estate planning. This includes work within the Wills, Estates & Trusts community, and teaching law students. We are involved in a number of related organizations and associations including:
- Edmonton Estate Planning Council
- Canadian Association of Family Enterprises
- Canadian Bar Association Alberta Elder Law Section
- Canadian Bar Association Alberta Wills, Estates and Trusts Section
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
If you would like more information about how we can help you, reach out to Team Leader Shelly Chamaschuk or any member of our Wills, Estates & Trusts team.